Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
What are your office hours?
The Altona office is open from 8:30 am-4:30 pm from Monday to Friday. (Closed on holidays)
The Plum Coulee office is currently closed, however, there is a drop box at 215 Railway Avenue.
What is the phone number for the dogcatcher?
If you are looking for your dog please contact the office during business hours only at 204-324-5357.  We will only pick up stray dogs if they are caught and leashed or in an enclosed building.  The animal control may not be available on the same day for pick-ups.   If you recognize your pets on our Facebook page or website they may be picked up dogs only during regular hours after paying all penalties and fees please send an email to this address.

Do dogs and cats need a license?
Yes, However, there is no fee to license. All dogs and cats within the Municipality require a license so that if your pet is lost we can return it to you. Licenses are available at the Altona or Plum Coulee offices. If your animal is caught by animal control there will be an impound fee and daily kennel fees. Click here for the application.

What are the hours of the landfills/Recycling Sites?

Plum Coulee Compost and Recycling Site hours are:

Monday – Wednesday 8am to 5pm

Thursday – 8am to 8pm

Friday – 8am to 5pm

Saturday – 9am to 4pm

Closed on holidays

Altona/Rhineland Landfill hours are:
Monday - Saturday from 8 am-4 pm.

Is there a limit to the amount of garbage picked at curb side?
Yes in Plum Coulee and Rosenfeld where there is curb side pickup there is a 2 bag limit. Bag weight limit is 35 pounds.  Anything over two bags requires a sticker which can be purchased at a $1 each at the Altona Office.  There is no limit to the amount of recyclables.  Gretna has private pick up.
When is garbage pickup? (Must be out by 7 am)
Residential garbage pickup for Plum Coulee and Rosenfeld is on Tuesdays starting on June 13th 2023.
Recycling pickup for Plum Coulee and Rosenfeld is on Tuesdays starting on June 13th 2023.
This is subject to change if pick up falls on a holiday.
What is the due date for property taxes?
Taxes are due the 31st, of October. Penalties apply starting November 1 at 1.25% per month.
There is an early payment discount of 1% if paid by June 30.  
Allow 2-3 business days for online payments to process.  Cheques must be received before the close of the office on the due date.  Note: Online may take 2-3 business days to process.
When are utility payments due?
Utility accounts for Rhineland and Gretna are due January 31, April 30, July 31, October 31.
Penalties apply starting the first of the month after the due date at 1.25% per month.
Allow 2-3 business days for online payments to process.  Cheques must be received before the close of the office on the due date.

Where do I go to get a building permit?
Building permits are issued through the RPGA Planning District Office in Altona at 109 3rd Avenue NE in the Rhineland Municipal Building. The phone number there is (204) 324-5357. To view the Building Permit By-Law click here.

My sewer line is plugged. What do I do?
Call Public Works first  (204) 324-7510 before calling to clean the line from the house using a company such as Rotorooter. If the contractor advises the blockage is on the property line or Municipal property, the line should be videoed at your expense. Upon receipt of the video as proof of blockage, cost sharing may occur to correct the problem. Review the Policy for more information.
How do I make a drainage request?
You must come to the civic office in Altona to fill out a drainage request or fill in the form and send by email.
How do I make a change to my driveway request?
For Driveways in the Municipality you must come to the Altona office to make a driveway change request or fill out the form and email here.  For driveways on provincial roads you must apply to Manitoba Highways.
Do you Pay for mole, gopher and beaver tails?
Yes, we do. For 2023 Gopher tails are worth $.50, Mole Tails are $2.00 and Beaver tails are $40.00.  You must catch them in the Municipality and contact the councillor for your ward.  Beaver tails must be pre-approved to catch by your councillor or payment will not be given.  Councillors Wards.  Beaver tail forms  and  other gopher/mole tails.
How do I get to be a delegate at a council meeting?
Contact the Office at (204) 324-5357 and ask for CAO Michael Rempel or email.
How much does it cost to purchase a property ownership map? 
The price of an ownership map is $20.00 for Rural Map and$20.00 for the Urban Map.  Purchase both at the same time for $30.00.
Do I have to fence my pool?
Yes, Provincial legislation requires a fence around pools that are capable of containing a water depth greater than 24 inches. Provincial Legislation also states that you must have a minimum of a five foot fence with a self closing gate and lockable latch around all outdoor pools and hot tubs. The Municipality of Rhineland and Town of Altona's Zoning By-Laws require a fence of not less than 6 feet (1.8m) in height, with the other requirements for a self-closing, lockable gate. The fence must be constructed in a manner as to prevent a child from crawling underneath or over top the fence.  A development permit is required for pools over 4 feet.
Who do I contact if I have concerns about off road vehicles? 
Off Road Vehicles fall under Provincial legislation and as such you would be required to call your local RCMP detachment.  For Plum Coulee contact the Altona Police at (204) 324-5373.