Q. Where do I go to apply for a building permit?
- Rhineland & Altona permits – RPGA Planning District office - 109-3rd Avenue NE, Altona (204) 324-5357 ask for Susan
Q. Do I need a building permit to finish my basement?
A. Yes, a building permit is required for finishing your basement if the value of the permit is more than $5,000.00 If the exterior walls of the basement are insulated, just bring in a floor plan of the proposed development.
Q. How long does a permit last?
A. Permits expire 1 year after they are issued. For example, a permit is applied for on September 14, 2021 would expire on September 14, 2022. The extension fee of $75.00 needs to be paid prior to date of expiry to extend the permit one year.
Q. How long does it take to get a building permit?
A. When the permit application is complete; all required drawings have been submitted and fees have been paid (see Building Permit Requirements), the permit application is forwarded to the Building Inspectors for approval. Permit approval is as follows:
- 2-7 business days for residential applications
- 2-12 business days for commercial applications
Q. How do I know which inspections to call for?
A. When a building permit is approved, you will receive a list of the inspections required.
Q. What type of work do I need a building permit for?
A. A building permit is required for all construction with the following exceptions:
- Regular maintenance and repair of any development provided it does not include structural alterations.
- An accessory building that is: less than 107 sq feet in area; does not exceed 15' or one storey in height and is not considered a hazard by the Designated Officer.
- An unenclosed deck that is less than 2’ above grade unless it is anchored to the building.
- A fence. (see zoning by-laws)
- Private driveways and concrete patios (unless you may want to construct a building or addition to a building on the patio at any time in the future).
Plans required for permit:
- Survey Certificate (If requested)
- Site Plan
- Floor Plan
- Foundation Plan
- Cross Sections
- Exterior Window & Door Schedule
- Lintel Schedule
- Building Envelope Calculation for effective insulation values
- General Framer & Concrete Contractor information
Contact an inspector to see whether engineering or an architect is required.
Guide to Asbestos Removal
RPGA Planning District
Attn: Susan Stein
Mailing Address: Box 270, Altona, MB R0G 0B0 180
Address: 109-3rd Avenue NE, Altona, MB
Phone: (204) 324-5357
Susan Stein, General Manager